Recipe by mollypaul
Posted in response to a recipe request. Crisping time in the oven not included in baking time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, warm (110F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups semolina
- 12 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon mahleb (powdered)
- 1 tablespoon anise
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black caraway seed (kalonji)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yeast, warm water, and sugar; set the mixture aside.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and keep in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the over to 350°F
- Roll the dough into balls 1¼ inches in diameter.
- Start with 15 pieces and leave the rest of the dough covered to prevent drying.
- Roll the ball into a finger shape four inches long.
- Bring the ends together so they overlap and pinch them together so you end up with a ring shape.
- Places them 1/2 inch apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes until they are golden brown.
- When the cookies are done turn off the oven and leave the cookies in it for an hour to become really crispy.