Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is a super delicious Vietnamese curry. Every time I make it, people are blown away! It is even more flavorful the next day.
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 small shallots
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (such as Sriracha)
- 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1⁄2 medium yellow onions, divided into 6 pieces and separated
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 2 2⁄3 cups coconut milk
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 lbs yams, peeled and sliced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- In a food processor, combine curry powder, garlic, sugar, shallots, salt, chili paste, 1 tablespoon of the oil and black pepper. Lightly puree and pulse into a rough paste.
- Rub the paste all over the chicken. Place in a bowl , cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- In a large stockpot, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf and lemongrass and cook for another few minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Add the chicken to the stockpot and sear for about 10-15 minutes, or until browned.
- Turn the heat to high. Add the water, coconut milk, carrots and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes, then reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Test the carrots and potatoes for doneness before adding the peas. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes in a light simmer.
- Serve hot over rice or with fresh, warm baguettes. Garnish with cilantro.