1/1 Photo of Ca-Ri Ga (Chicken Curry With Potatoes, Carrots and Peas)
1 hr 45 mins
Sommer Clary's Note:
This is a super delicious Vietnamese curry. Every time I make it, people are blown away! It is even more flavorful the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 small shallots
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (such as Sriracha)
- 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, divided into 6 pieces and separated
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 2 2/3 cups coconut milk
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 lbs yams, peeled and sliced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1In a food processor, combine curry powder, garlic, sugar, shallots, salt, chili paste, 1 tablespoon of the oil and black pepper. Lightly puree and pulse into a rough paste.
- 2Rub the paste all over the chicken. Place in a bowl , cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- 3In a large stockpot, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf and lemongrass and cook for another few minutes.
- 4Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Add the chicken to the stockpot and sear for about 10-15 minutes, or until browned.
- 5Turn the heat to high. Add the water, coconut milk, carrots and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes, then reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6Test the carrots and potatoes for doneness before adding the peas. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes in a light simmer.
- 7Serve hot over rice or with fresh, warm baguettes. Garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ca-Ri Ga (Chicken Curry With Potatoes, Carrots and Peas)
Serving Size: 1 (555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 690.7
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 1967.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: