this is a copycat recipe for a great soup without chicken, though you could certainly add some.
Make and share this Ca Kitchen White Corn Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 seven-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced white onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 lb white corn kernels
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 24 blue corn tortilla chips (optional garnish)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
- Over medium-high heat, fry tortilla squares in olive oil until they begin to crisp and turn a golden yellow. Add garlic, onion and jalapeno; cook 1 to 2 minutes, until onion becomes translucent.
- transfer to an 8 quart pot.
- Add half the corn along with all other ingredients (except garnishes), reserving other half of corn to be added at the end. Bring the soup to a low, even boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Use a hand-held propeller blade processor to process in batches to the consistency of a course puree. (You can also process in batches in a blender).
- Return the soup to the burner and add the reserved corn. Bring the soup to a boil once again being extremely careful to avoid scorching or burning the soup. Serve, garnished with blue corn tortilla chips, cilantro and sharp cheddar cheese.
I was a bit skeptical at first but followed the recipe to the letter. It was an absolute replica of the CPK soup that my family loves so much. I also increased the onion to 1/2 of a medium onion and added extra white corn when it was done. Delicious!
This is phenomenal. I add two seasoned (with cumin and chili powder) cut up chicken breasts and a can of black beans when I add the second portion of corn just to make it more of a meal. I also fry up some tortilla strips to put on the top. Yum!
Awesome..tasted just like CPK's. I didn't add the water and the consistency was excellent. I would also add a bit less chicken stock.