Member #610488's Note:
This traditional Vietnamese recipe is from the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 35 dried lily buds, tied into knots
- 5 fresh black shiitake mushrooms or 5 dried black shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (1 ounce) package dried wood ear mushrooms, small black
- 1 ounce dried cellophane noodle
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow bean paste
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (6 ounce) fillets alaskan black cod, skin on
- ginger, 1 inch piece peeled slivered
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 scallion, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 fresh cilantro stems, cut into 2 inch pieces (garnish)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Soak the lily buds, black mushrooms, wood-ear mushrooms, and noodles in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze dry. Remove the tough knobs and stems from the mushrooms and slice into bite-size pieces.
- 2Cut the noodles into 10-inch lengths. Set them aside.
- 3Heat the oil in a pan over moderate heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and chile flakes and stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the sugar, soy sauce, and black mushrooms. Stir a few times, then add the chicken stock, wood ear mushrooms, and noodles.
- 4Quickly transfer the mushroom mixture to a deep casserole dish that will fit your steamer. Place the fish on top, and then sprinkle half of the ginger on top.
- 5Place the dish in a steamer rack. Fill a wok or steam pan with 3 inches of water. Steam the fish until it’s just done, about 5 to 7 minutes depending on the thickness. Remove from heat and garnish with the remaining ginger, scallion, cilantro, and black pepper, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ca Hap Tuong Bun Tau (Black Cod With Noodles)
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.3
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.3 mg
- Sodium 797.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried lily buds