Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Award winning chili recipe. I think I would kick it up a bit by adding chicken bouillon and a bouquet garni to the broth. Being a fan of cilantro, I would increase the amount considerably. Also, topping a serving with a small amount of cheese would be great.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 7 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 green chilies, long
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup beer
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb beef suet
- 5 lbs pork chops, center cut, thin (3/8-inch cubes)
- 4 lbs flank steaks (3/8-inch cubes)
- 3 medium onions, 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 green peppers, 3/8-inch pieces
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lime, juice of
- Simmer chicken pieces in water for 2 hours.
- Strain broth and reserve.
- In 2 qt saucepan combine celery, tomatoes and sugar and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Boil chilies 15 min until tender, remove seeds and cut in 1/4" in squares.
- Combine oregano, cumin, MSG, pepper, salt, chili powder, cilantro, and thyme with beer and whisk until all lumps are dissolved.
- Add tomato mixture, chilies, beer mixture, and garlic to chicken broth.
- Render suet.
- Brown 1/2 of cubed pork chops in 1/3 of suet drippings. Repeat for other 1/2 of cubed pork chops.
- Add browned pork to broth mixture and cook slowly 30 minutes.
- Brown flank steak cubes in remaining 1/3 of suet drippings about 1/3 at a time.
- Add to pork mixture.
- Return to boil and simmer slowly about 1 hour.
- Add onions and green peppers.
- Simmer 2 1/2 hours longer, stirring with wooden spoon every 15-20 minute.
- Cool 1 hour then refrigerate 24 hours.
- Reheat chili before serving.
- About 5 minutes before serving time, add cheese.
- Immediately before serving, add lime juice and stir with wooden spoon.