Recipe by CheapThrills
No cream soups, no tomatoes, please! Adapted from MIL's adaptation of an "old school" WW recipe. Kid-pleaser!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for Spring PAC 2013 and what a great recipe. I followed the instructions and I can imagine this summer with fresh garden zucchini it will be delicious. DH loved this dish and we served it with your recipe#206646#206646 which was a hit. Thank you for posting.
- 4 cups zucchini, grated or shredded
- 1 cup cracker crumb, saltines
- 2 slices bacon, precooked and chopped or crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, unsalted, melted
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped, (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded, 1 cup
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a pan and saute mushrooms, if using, and onion till soft; add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Cool slightly; spray a 2-qt. casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine zucchini, cracker crumbs, bacon and egg.
- Add saute mixture to zucchini mixture and mix well.
- Pour whole mixture into casserole dish. Top with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- May be frozen before cooking. Thaw 24 hours in fridge before baking. I put cheese and crumbs on the casserole to freeze; MIL freezes them separately to add just before baking.
- I use frozen chopped onions, and do not saute them; I add the butter, melted and slightly cooled, to the mixture. I also do not add mushrooms, to prevent a civil uprising.