3 hrs 45 mins
A true-to-DQ version of the pricey ice cream cakes. This is more of a method, really, than a recipe. This is a close copy of the DQ cakes we enjoy, at a fraction of the cost, and with ingredient control. Feel free to substitute your own cake and icing. Make sure you have room in the freezer before starting assembly. I keep round cake layers on-hand in the freezer; you may need to make yours fresh. Use half the ingredients for one cake -- this makes two. Prep time includes freezing time during assembly only.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) package cake mix, chocolate
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1/3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1/3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1/2 gallon ice cream, your favorite flavor
- 2 (10 ounce) containers frosting, prepared (or equivalent of your own)
- cake decorations, jimmies, sprinkles, etc.
- 1Prepare the cake mix according to package directions.
- 2Bake in 8" round pan(s).
- 3Cool, remove from pan, wrap tightly and freeze overnight or longer.
- 4(Alternatively, you can cook the cake in a springform pan, which will make the rest of the assembly go much easier. I destroy springform pans so I use this method.).
- 5When ready to assemble, let ice cream soften for 20 minutes at room temp, OR heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
- 6Unwrap one cake round and place on a cardboard round.
- 7Using heavy duty foil, wrap the outside only and tuck under, forming a cylinder form around the cake. (Or just use the sides of the springform pan.).
- 8Scoop the ice cream into the form and smooth with the back of a spoon, so that there are no air pockets, and the ice cream forms a firm layer on top of the cake.
- 9Use as much ice cream as you like -- I use enough to form a layer the same depth as the cake, about half of a half-gallon.
- 10Return the cake to the freezer for 30-45 minutes, until firm.
- 11While freezing, prepare frosting.
- 12A shortening and powdered sugar frosting works well for this because it is quite firm, but a canned frosting is good in a pinch.
- 13Add a few drops of flavoring to canned frosting and mix well for an extra touch.
- 14Remove cake from the freezer and remove the foil wrap. (If using a springform pan, remove the whole thing from the pan at this point.)
- 15Frost the cake and decorate as desired.
- 16Place the cake back in the freezer for one hour, then cover or LIGHTLY wrap, and keep frozen.
- 17To serve, let cake rest at room temperature for 1/2 hour to make cutting easier. Each cake serves 8.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for C T's Ice Cream Cake -- Much Like D Q
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.4
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 71.0 mg
- Sodium 349.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 55.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g