Recipe by Pioneer
This recipe is from the archives of Pioneer Lodge, a Senior's residence. The recipe is tried and true and was originated by Ms. Hudson's mother in law. She said warm thoughts came to her every time she made this dish.
Top Review by Liv D.
I was surprised by how much my husband - a foodie - liked this recipe. I eliminated the onions because I can't eat them, and substituted a lot of broccoli for the small amount of green peppers. It was a great way to use up ham and I think it would be an excellent way to get kids to eat their vegetables. I would imagine you could use chicken instead of ham or peas instead of peppers or broccoli and have good results.
- 3 cups cooked ham
- 3 cups potatoes, cooked & cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion and green pepper in the butter.
- Gradually add flour, milk and mustard.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Put the ham and potatoes in a casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes.