Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my barbecue beans' recipe perfected at the age of 14. ;) PS> Read important note in Step #6.
- 1 (53 ounce) can pork and beans (Van Camp's pork and beans of course!)
- 4 -5 slices crisp cooked bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash garlic powder
- Fry the bacon, set aside to drain and cool then break up into little pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and sautè the onion until softened.
- Add the beans, sauteed onions along with the remaining ingredients to a large oven proof casserole dish. Stir in the crumbled bacon and combine.
- Cover and bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- NOTE: For best results, prepare the casserole up through step #4 as early as possible in the morning or the night before, cover, refrigerate then bake later in the day (or next day.).