Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Assumption Greek Orthodox Church cookbook. Top with honey syrup (included) or a powdered sugar glaze.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt, plain (or sour cream)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
Topping (Honey Syrup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Beat oil and sugar together. Add eggs and half of the yogurt. Mix well.
- Mix baking soda into orange juice and add to batter.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to oil mixture. Stir in remaining yogurt and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- For topping, boil all topping ingredients for about 15 minutes, covering pan the last 5 minutes (reduce heat if needed to keep it from boiling over).
- Pour hot syrup over the cake. Let soak in and cut into squares to serve.
I loved the flavor of this spice cake and the sweetness of it. This spice cake is really sweet from the honey syrup, but loved having it with a nice hot cup of coffee. Made as written. Made for ZWT9 ~ The Apron String Travelers
I feel terrible that I'm not totally overjoyed. :( We love spice cake & cakes with syrup poured over them but ... in my opinion, there is way too much sugar here. My cake FLOATED when I added the syrup. :o I would halve the syrup recipe, leave out the sugar & just use 1c honey & 1c water. I would double the spices in the cake. But that's us. It's LOVELY the way it is, we just thought it could use a bit more. Thank you, Mikekey! Made for ZWT9, Mike & the Appliance Killers. :) GO TEAM!
This cake has a wonderful flavor. I made this cake for the Vegan Challenge for ZWT9. In doing so I had to use a substitution for the eggs. I used 1/3 C applesauce for each egg. The cake turned out pretty heavy but tasty. Made for ZWT9.