Recipe by love4culinary
This is a recipe from 'By Word of Mouth', a restaurant in S. Florida. Servings was not listed with recipe. Please add correction if you wish. Thanks.
Top Review by BeachGirl
This was a tasty light salad with a little sweet from the oranges and a crunch from the almonds. I put chicken salad on lettuce and topped with orange segments and sprinkled with almonds, rather than mixing them with the chicken. It is pretty enough for a bridal or ladies luncheon. Next time I may add a few red grape halves for color and an extra little sweet.
- 3⁄4 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 2 large seedless oranges
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breast halves, with the skin
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and cut into 1 ½ by 1 ½ inch matchsticks
- 3 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- mixed baby greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast almonds on a baking sheet until lightly browned; approximately 8 mins.
- Peel the oranges, removing all the bitter white pith.
- Cut between the membranes to release the sections.
- Cut the sections crosswise in half and transfer to small bowl.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the chicken breasts and simmer over moderate heat until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- Discard the chicken skin and cut the meat into 1/3 inch diagonal strips.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the celery, scallions and rosemary.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Stir the dressing into the chicken salad, then add the nuts and orange segments and toss gently.
- Serve the salad with baby lettuce.