Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
No, it's not really buzzard claws--it's chicken! I think this is a good conversation piece. It is great for Halloween parties or gator games (football).
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 chicken drumsticks, frozen for 30 minutes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 32 slivered almonds (to garnish)
Swamp Dip (recipe follows)
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup well-drained medium to hot salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil. Crumple aluminum foil into a log shape that fits lengthwise into baking sheet.
- Remove drumsticks from freezer (they should be partially frozen, not hard). Prepare chicken by Frenching the bone.
- Beat egg and milk together in a bowl. Stir paprika, cayenne, chili powder, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and cheese together in 9-inch pie plate. Dip chicken into egg mixture and bread chicken in bread crumb mixture, patting to coat evenly.
- Place chicken on baking sheet with spatula; prop bone sections up on aluminum foil log. Pull slices apart slightly to form a claw shape. Chill 30 minutes to set crumb coating. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until chicken is 180°F Lift chicken claws to a platter with spatula. Serve with Swamp Dip.
- To make swamp dip: Combine mayonnaise and salsa in small bowl. Serve in a hollowed-out tomato or mini pumpkin shell.