Recipe by Hoosier Margie
Did you ever have a recipe card that was so hard to read it is like a child's favorite book? The one they can read to you word for word without ever opening the book. This is such a recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, 2 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon together.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in egg and just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead lightly 10 times.
- Roll dough 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
- Hold opposite ends of each ring and twirl to form a figure 8.
- Place bows and buttons (holes) on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Dip into melted butter, then into sugar.
- I add cinnamon to my sugar usually.
- I also put sugar in a plastic bag and gently roll it around with the doughnuts inside after dipping in the butter.