I love fudge, but sometimes I just don't want all that chocolate....don't tell anyone I said that!!!! This is a great fudge, minus the chocolate. I found this recipe in TOH and did a make over on it to suit my taste. The original recipe calls for pecans, but we prefer walnuts in our fudge.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the butter, sugars, half and half and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the mixture is boiling good, boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantley.
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in confectioner's sugar, then fold in walnuts.
- Spread mixture into a 8" square dish (the size of the dish is not an exact, use what ever size you desire to get the thickness you want).
- Cover with plastic wrap and cool until room temperature.
- Cut into 1 inch squares and store in airtight container in refridgerator.