I have made this cake a number of times in the past, both with raspberries and also with blueberries, also the original recipe states that you may use frozen, I have only made this using fresh berries, if using frozen berries, you might want to increase the baking time. it is just delicious!....The fruit mixed in the batter makes this a wonderful buttery moist cake with a layer of spice streusel flowing through it and sprinkled on top... remember that this can be made using frozen blueberries also.
STREUSEL FILLING or TOPPING
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries (can use blueberries also)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, and line bottom with parchment paper to prevent bottom of cake from over-browning).
- Mix together all streusel ingredients; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes, until no sugar granules remain.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla; beat until blended, about 1-2 minutes, scraping bowl often.
- Stir in the sour cream; beat until well blended, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture, beating until blended.
- Gently fold in the raspberries or blueberries (if using) with a spatula, if you are using fresh berries, careful not to break the berries while mixing in, especially if using fresh raspberries.
- Spoon about two-thirds of the cake batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture on top.
- Then dollup the remaining cake batter on top of the streusel mix (does not have to cover completely).
- Then sprinkle the remaining streusel mixture on top.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until cake tests done.