Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
from: Sunset New Easy Basics Cookbook
- 1⁄2 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (about 110F/43C)
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons melted and cooled butter or 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup warm 2% low-fat milk (about 110F/43C)
- In a large boul, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp of the sugar in warm water, stirring to mix; let stand until bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and the salt until well mixed. Beat flour mixture into yeast mixture, along with 6 tbsp of the melted butter, the egg, and milk; beat for about 5 minutes to blend well. Gradually beat in the remaining 2.5 cups flour. Cover with plastic wrap and let batter rise in a warm place until doubled (about 45 minutes).
- Pour 1 tbsp of hte remaining melted butter into a 9X13" baking pan, tilting pan to coat bottom. Punch down batter and drop by handfulls into buttered pan, makiing about 15 rolls. Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp butter over dough. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in 375F oven until lightly browned (20-25 minutes. Serve hot.