Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I add the finely grated rind of a small orange to the creaming butter/sugar mixture to give the cake a little more zing. Suitable to freeze.
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup self raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to moderate (180oC/160oC fan-forced). Grease a deep 22-23cm round cake pan, line the base with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions. Fold in the sifted flour, then the juice and boiling water.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand the cake for two minutes before tuning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar if desired.