Recipe by Sharlene~W
The title says it all. I ran across this yummy recipe in a booklet published by my local grocery store.
Top Review by Mirj
Sharlene, where has the recipe been all my life! We love lemony desserts, and this is going to be our new favorite. I used a beautiful organic lemon from my own tree, peel and juice. The teste of lemon is powerful, a real pucker-upper!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon lemons, rind of, grated
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl with mixer, beat butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar until mixture is smoothly blended.
- Add 2 cups flour to butter mixture.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Pat dough into a ball.
- Press evenly into a buttered and floured 9- by 13-inch pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
- While dough bakes, in a food processor or bowl with mixer, whirl granulated sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, and eggs to blend.
- Pour onto hot crust.
- Bake until the lemon mixture is no longer runny in the center (cut to test), 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dust with remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
- With a sharp knife, divide into 24 squares.
- Store in airtight container up to 2 days or can be frozen to store longer.