Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A family favorite! A buttery cake bottom with a cream cheese layer baked on top.
Top Review by ColCadsMom
I can't believe this doesn't have any ratings! This cake was gone in no time flat in our house! It reminds me of a chess cake, and would be delicious with lemon or almond flavoring instead of vanilla! It was a wonderful treat that my family loved. Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening (Crisco butter flavour or plain is good)
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (no substitutions)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (icing)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or in a food processor, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in 3 of the eggs, and the melted butter; mix with a wooden spoon to combine well.
- Spread this batter over the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- In another bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, the 2 remaining eggs the confectioners sugar (reserving 2 Tbsp for the topping of the cake) and the vanilla; pour this mixture over the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes; remove from oven, and sprinkle the reserved 2 Tbsp sugar over the top.
- Return the cake to the oven, and bake for 35 minutes more.
- When done, the cake will still be moist in the center.
- Cool slightly before serving.