Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very delicious buttery cake with a cream cheese layer baked on top...simply irresistable!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (no substitutions)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb icing sugar (confectioners)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13' x 9" baking pan.
- in a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt; cut in the shortening with a pastry knife or food processor, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in 3 of the eggs, and the melted butter; combine well.
- Spread batter over bottom of prepared baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, the 2 remaining eggs, the cofectioners sugar (reserve 2 Tbsp of confectioners sugar for sprinkling on top of cake), and the vanilla; pour the mixture over batter in the baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with the reserved 2 TBSP sugar over the top.
- Return the cake to oven; bake for 30-35 minutes longer.
- When done, the cake will still be moist in the center.
- Cool slightly before serving.