Recipe by fantasticfoodlady
This recipe is wonderful warm, but is also very good at room temperature. Perfect for company or Christmas morning!! Makes 1 - 10 inch fluted tube pan
Top Review by SweetSueAl
I make this cake often. I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It is a moist, flavorful cake. The men in my family (and at work too) seem to really love this cake. I highly recommend it for a brunch.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour one 10 inch fluted tube pan.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, 1 tsp.
- ground cinnamon and salt.
- Beat shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 1/3 cups white sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp.
- Continue beating until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating for at least 1 minute after each egg.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to egg mixture, beating after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- After removing cake from pan and while it is still warm poke holes around the top of the cake with a fork.
- Pour the warm cinnamon syrup into the holes and onto the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with confections sugar.
- To make cinnamon syrup: In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup white sugar, the butter, water, 1 tsp.
- vanilla and 3/4 tsp.
- ground cinnamon.
- Heat and stir until butter melts.
- Do not boil!
- Pour syrup over cake while it and the cake are still warm.