Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is wonderful warm, but is also very good at room temperature. Perfect for company or Christmas morning!! Makes 1 - 10 inch fluted tube pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour one 10 inch fluted tube pan.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, 1 tsp.
- ground cinnamon and salt.
- Beat shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 1/3 cups white sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp.
- Continue beating until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating for at least 1 minute after each egg.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to egg mixture, beating after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- After removing cake from pan and while it is still warm poke holes around the top of the cake with a fork.
- Pour the warm cinnamon syrup into the holes and onto the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with confections sugar.
- To make cinnamon syrup: In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup white sugar, the butter, water, 1 tsp.
- vanilla and 3/4 tsp.
- ground cinnamon.
- Heat and stir until butter melts.
- Do not boil!
- Pour syrup over cake while it and the cake are still warm.
I make this cake often. I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It is a moist, flavorful cake. The men in my family (and at work too) seem to really love this cake. I highly recommend it for a brunch.