Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Barley--it's not just for soup.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dark brown sugar
- Toast the barley in a dry heavy saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly colored and fragrant.
- Add in 3 cups water; decrease to heat to a bare simmer; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- While the barley cooks, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; stir in the walnuts; stir/saute for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
- Mix the walnuts, raisins, and salt into the barley, gently stirring up from the bottom once.
- Cover again and cook for about 5 minutes longer.
- The barley is ready when the individual pearls are tender and plump and the cereal is thick but still spoonable.
- For best texture, cover with a clean towel, replace the lid and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot, with brown sugar sprinkled on top.