Buttery Barley With Walnuts
- Toast the barley in a dry heavy saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly colored and fragrant.
- Add in 3 cups water; decrease to heat to a bare simmer; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- While the barley cooks, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; stir in the walnuts; stir/saute for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
- Mix the walnuts, raisins, and salt into the barley, gently stirring up from the bottom once.
- Cover again and cook for about 5 minutes longer.
- The barley is ready when the individual pearls are tender and plump and the cereal is thick but still spoonable.
- For best texture, cover with a clean towel, replace the lid and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot, with brown sugar sprinkled on top.