Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I walked in my kitchen while this was baking and I thought I would melt and run down in my shoes. It smelled SOOO good in there...the apples..the cinnamon...HEAVEN! I cannot take credit for this, however. I got it from an e-zine I get in the email. I immediately got in my car and bought the ingredients, came home, and whipped this up. Since I'm diabetic, I'll be sending it off to Pop's for the shop monkey's (the shop mechanics/my taste-testers) approval. If they like it, it's a keeper!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled and diced very small
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the largest loaf pan you have. (original recipe calls for a 9 x 5, but I used a 12" and it was almost too small!).
- Stir together the strudel topping; set aside.
- Beat the eggs lightly with a fork to blend. Stir in butter and milk. Add flour and sugar, stir with a spatula until moist (batter will be lumpy).
- Layer 1/2 the batter, apples and strudel: repeat layers. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about an hour. Cool ten minutes in the pan; remove and let cool completely. Serve with ice cream.
I just finished mmaking this for the first timme. <br/><br/>I found it an easy recipe to follow. The only thing I did different was add a bit mmore cinnammon. I was under the immpression that the batter was a bit thick. While somme reviewers indicated that they needed bigger sized loaf pans, I was fine with the suggested 9x5. <br/><br/>As a cinnammon addict - I thought it could still use mmore, but mmy Mmmichael said that it was fine. I did find it a tad dry but then Mmmichael ate all his without a dab of butter.<br/><br/>Saved to mmy favourites for its simmplicity. After the hour was up, it was done precisely! <br/><br/>isabelydancer00
To be honest i changed the recipe a bit, i changed the butter to apple puree and added a bit of oil to the batter as a few reviews suggested it was a bit dry. i also added some vanilla essence. As my loaf pan is tiny i decided to put it in a muffin tray! i put batter then a few pieces of tinned peach and pear a dollop of custard then a bit of strudle then moor batter with a dollop of strudle on top! My gosh! it is delicious! So amazingling yummy and they look fantastic! Thanks! :-)
I made this exactly by the recipe and it turned out very pretty. It did smell good baking, but my boyfriend and I agreed that its a little dull on flavor and pretty dry. I was hoping it would get more moist the longer it sat like some breads I've made but it didnt. Its not terrible its just "ok" to me. very easy to make though. Maybe with some ice cream it would be worth the calories? Or maybe I just did it wrong I dunno.