Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a moist version of what my mother called Apple Crisp. Delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Be sure to use an apple that holds its shape during baking like a Braeburn, Jonathan or Northern Spy.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups regular rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 10 cups sliced peeled baking apples
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Add butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla; stir with a fork until moist and crumbly.
- Combine 1 teaspoon vanilla, cider, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and dash of salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth.
- Add apples, tossing to coat.
- Spoon apple mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with oat mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until browned and bubbly.
Sharlen~W, I enjoyed your Buttery Apple Crumble, which I made last night for my husband. He wolfed it down with asking for more. I did not have vanilla ice cream in the freezer, but had a chocolate yogurt icecream on hand which he enjoyed. I don't know if I cut up enough apples (10 large Courtland apples) as I found the layer of apples quite thin in such a large pan 13x9. Thank you for the recipe - I give you 5 Stars for your recipe.