Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet, Sweet, Ricotta Butterscotch Treat for entry into Ready Set Cook, spring.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 cup brown sugar twin)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (or 1/2 cup splenda)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 30 pecan halves
- 1 (300 g) bag butterscotch chips
- Beat together ricotta cheese, brown and white sugars, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- combine flour, baking powder, salt and chopped pecans, mix and add to cheese mixture.
- Mix well.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with veggie spray.
- Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in a 350f degree oven for 30 minutes or until cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven to cooling rack and while still hot, shake butterscotch chips evenly over top.
- As the chips melt, spread over entire surface with a spatula.
- (If the chips are slow in melting, place the pan under the broiler for a minute, then spread.) Place half pecans so that when cut there will be a pecan in the centre of each square.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Place pan in refrigerator to help set the topping.
- Store in refrigerator.
Very easy and very good! I loved the butterscotch chips as frosting. The cake part wasn't too sweet, but it went nicely with the sweetness of the chips. It made a really rich dessert. Thanks for sharing, Derf!
The cake underneath was good (not overly sweet), but the butterscotch chip frosting was too thick and hard (and disgustingly sweet). May have to try the cake part with dark chocolate chips or something. Just not our cup of tea with the butterscotch.