Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Light and airy dessert, but rich.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups whipped topping
Butterscotch Sundae Sauce (see below)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 9x1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Grease and flour the pans.
- In a large mixer bowl at medium speed, beat egg yolks for 2 minutes. At low speed, slowly add sugar, vanilla and almond extracts and baking powder. Beat until well blended. stir in graham cracker crumbs and nuts.
- In a small mixer bowl at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. By hand, gently stir about 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture to lighten. Gold in remaining egg whites. Spread evenly in pans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is set. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from pans with knife and remove cakes from pans. Cool layers immediately on wire racks.
- Spread 1 cup of the whipped topping between layers and spread remaining topping on top of cake to within 1/2 inch of edge. Drizzle sauce over top and down sides of cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate until 1 hour before serving.
- ****Butterscotch Sauce****.
- In small saucepan, mix sugar and flour. Stir in orange juice, water, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add butter. Stirring over medium heat, bring to boil and boil for 3 minutes or until thick and shiny. Cool. Makes about 1 1/2 cup.