Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Wow is this ever rich and delicious! Enjoy!!
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 ounces cold butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a flan pan.
- For the pastry: Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the butter.
- With your fingers rub the butter and flour together until mixture is fine and crumbly.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add the yolk and ice water.
- Mix to a soft dough and press into a ball.
- Roll pastry between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Remove plastic and line the bottom and sides of flan pan with pastry.
- Trim edges.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper and line bottom of pastry.
- Fill with pie weights, beans or rice.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, discard paper and the beans or rice if using.
- Set flan pan aside.
- To make Filling: Place sugar and flour in a heavy based medium pan.
- Make a well in the center.
- Using a whisk add the milk slowly, whisking to a smooth paste.
- Add butter.
- Stir with the whisk over low heat for about 7-8 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisking quickly add the yolk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Spread filling into precooked pastry.
- Smooth out top.
- For the Meringue: Place the egg whites in a cold, dry glass bowl.
- With Cold beaters beat whites until firm peaks form.
- Slowly add the sugar while beating until mixture is thick and glossy and the sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon meringue over filling and swirl into peaks.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until meringue is a light golden brown.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold.