Recipe by Jewelies
We made this today as a treat after Sunday lunch and everyone loved it. Served with homemade icecream and my personal favourite, cream! This recipe is posted in Australian measurements so 1 tablespoons equals 20ml (or 4 teaspoons).
Top Review by WicklewoodWench
Oh my,,,this was delicious comfort food, better than the syrup sponge I thought it would be. The sponge was light and the sauce rich and butterscotchy!!! The only change I made was to use my gluten free flour mix and 1 teaspoon of baking powder, I didn't even have to alter the temp or timing to cater for the changes, it was perfect. Thank you for sharing.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 100 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 1.5 litre (6 cup) ovenproof dish with butter.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and all of the flour in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter, slightly beaten egg, milk and 2 tablespoons of the golden syrup and stir until combined.
- Spoon into the greased dish.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and cornflour. Sprinkle over the pudding mixture.
- Combine boiling water with the remaining 2 tablespoons of golden syrup.
- Pour over the top of the pudding mixture and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve with double cream or ice cream.