Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A really rich sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, in 1 tbsp pieces
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- In a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan bring sugar, corn syrup, and water to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil mixture, without stirring but swirling pan occasionally, until a golden caramel.
- Remove pan from heat and add butter, vinegar, and a pinch salt, swirling pan until butter is melted.
- Add cream and vanilla and simmer, stirring, 1 minute (sauce will be a golden brown).
- Cool sauce to room temperature (sauce will thicken as it cools).
- Refrigerate covered for up to 3 weeks.
- Serve sauce warm or at room temperature.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.