Recipe by sohlfam
I was looking to make a cake with Rum Extract, and decided to come up with one that had the added moisture of pudding. My husband suggested putting cream cheese icing on it. I think this cake is even better a day or two after it has been baked. This recipe has only 1/4 cup of sugar. Very good and rich. Goes great with a glass of egg nog. I adapted bert's cream cheese icing recipe to use on this cake.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 (1 ounce) package sugar-free fat-free butterscotch pudding
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons light butter (I use Land O Lakes)
- 3⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute or 3 eggs
- 1 cup water (I may have used more)
- 1 tablespoon imitation rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mccormick imitation butter flavor extract (optional)
- cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, salt, baking soda, pudding mix, sugar, Splenda, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a separate container.
- Add eggs and water to butter and mix.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients. Blend well.
- Add rum, vanilla, and butter extracts to cake batter.
- Pour into one or two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. I made mine in one 9-inch pan, so the time may be off if you use two pans.
- Allow cake to cool for 10-20 minutes and then remove from pan.
- Note: Double the icing if you make a two layer cake.
- To make icing:.
- Soften the butter and the cream cheese, then beat it until smooth (mine still wanted to stay a little chunky).
- Add sugar, Splenda, and vanilla, then beat icing again.
- Wait until cake cools to use icing.