Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love anything and everything butterscotch, so I thought, "What the heck. Add it to pumpkin bread." It turned out to be lovely! It's even better when you toast a slice. :) Also, I used applesauce and egg whites to make it healthier, but you can use vegetable oil and whole eggs and it will still be just as good.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk or 3⁄4 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup butterscotch baking bits
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 2 (9x5-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Sift first 7 ingredients together in large bowl.
- Make a well in the center. Combine the next 6 ingredients in seperate bowl, whisking until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist.
- Stir in butterscotch chips (Batter will be on the thicker side).
- Spoon batter equally into the loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour (rotating once for even baking) or until a wooden toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Let cool -- or don't. Eat it warm! Oh yeah -- .
I'm with you when it comes to butterscotch, & your recipe here makes for a great tasting bread ~ Loved the pumpkin & 'scotch combo! I did use skim milk & egg whites & followed the recipe right on down! Thanks for this wonderful treat! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]