A lovely recipe I've adapted slightly from from Ripe for Dessert by D. Lebovitz. Both homey and sophisticated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml butter
- 236.59 ml firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 3.69 ml salt
- 44.37 ml cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 9.85 ml Bourbon
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 1For pudding: Melt the butter in a medium-size heavy-duty saucepan. Mix in the brown sugar and cook until the mixture bubbles vigorously. Remove from the heat and stir in the heavy cream, adding it 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in the milk and salt.
- 2In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and eggs until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the pudding comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, continue to stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Pour the pudding into a container and stir in the bourbon and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- 5To caramelize the bananas: Melt the butter in a large skillet. Stir in the brown sugar, add the banana slices, and cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until the bananas begin to sizzle.
- 6Add the coffee and vanilla and continue to cook until the juices thicken to the consistency of maple syrup, Avoid stirring the bananas. Instead, tilt the pan and spoon the sauce over the bananas as they cook.
- 7To Serve: Dish up the pudding in individual custard cups or in tall glasses with the banana slices heaped over it.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterscotch Pudding With Caramel-Espresso Bananas
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 844.4
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 237.6 mg
- Sodium 679.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 90.6 g
- Protein 9.4 g