Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 or 5 times.
- Roll dough to a 12-inch square on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread dough with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Roll up jellyroll fashion; pinch seam to seal.
- Cut into 12 (1-inch) slices.
- Place cut side up in greased muffin pans.
- Bake at 375ºF for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.