Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my ex mother in law's recipe and it is delicious. My ex husband always requested it for his birthday instead of cake.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Mix the brown sugar, flour and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Stir in the milk, add the butter and cook over simmering water, stirring, until thickened.
- Let cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat 2 egg yolks.
- Temper them with a little of the hot mixture, then stir them into the pudding.
- Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla, then pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff, beating in the sugar a little at a time to make a meringue.
- Spread on top of pudding and brown in a 350*F oven for about 10 minutes or until golden.
Followed recipe as-is and the pie didn't turn out so well. Way too thick and ended throwing it out :(
This is one of those recipes that 6 stars should be invented for!! My kids were fighting over the last piece. Thanks Marie this will become a firm favourite in my house. I followed your recipe but was a little impatient waiting for the mixture to thicken in the double boiler so I tipped it into a saucepan and cooked it this way. It was quicker and I tasted great, so will make it this way again.
This was good! I used skim milk and the pudding turned out nice!(It would have been better with 2% but I only had skim so I added an extra 2 tbsp of butter) I also used Pate Brisee Recipe #62517 for the pic crust. Thanks for the recipe!