Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe has been made for many generations in my Mother in Law's family. It is one of the most delicious pies that you will ever have!
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 9 in.baked pastry shell
- 2 egg whites
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In medium saucepan mix the brown sugar, flour and salt.
- Over medium heat, gradually add the milk and mix well.
- Beat egg yolks and add to the mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add butter and mix until melted.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Whip egg whites and sugar until medium peaks form.
- Pour mixture into baked pie shell.
- Swirl meringue onto top of pie.
- Bake approximately 10 minutes until tips of meringue are light brown.
- Cool completely on pie rack.
- Wrap loosely with plastic wrap, and store in refridgerator over night.
Dh is the butterscotch fan I made this for and he enjoyed it very much. I skipped the meringue and used fat-free whipped topping.