Recipe by gimme_a_spachler'
This blows that box of jello pudding out of the water.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
It was a pleasure making this recipe! So easy to put together & such a delicious pie! I almost always get my butterscotch fix from the chips or packaged pudding, so this was a definite treat ~ A definite keeper that I'll be making again before long! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 1 pie crust (the pre-made shortbread kind is my favorite for this recipe)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Mix together first 3 ingredients.
- Beat the egg YOLKS, and add to mixture.
- Melt the shortening and add, along with the milk.
- Mix well.
- Cook on the stovetop or on the top of a double-boiler until thickened.
- If you like, use the egg WHITES to make a meringue. I usually dont, though.
- Pour butterscotch into the pie crust. Spread the meringue over, if you made it.
- Bake for about 10 minutes if you made the meringue, or just bake long enough for the crust to brown.
- Chill before slicing.