Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe can be referred to as a Butterscotch Pie or some refer to it as a Caramelized Sugar Pie. Caramelizing the sugar gives this pie its unique flavor. My Mom always made this pie when she was out of ingredients for all other cream pies.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup undiluted evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked and cooled
Meringue for Pie:
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Caramelize sugar in heavy sauce pan or iron skillet.
- Add water.
- Melt brown sugar with butter.
- Add to caramel mixture.
- Stir until well mixed.
- In top of double boiler: Mix cornstarch, salt, and sugar.
- Add beaten egg yolks and milk.
- Add caramelized sugar mixture slowly.
- Stir constantly.
- Cook in double boiler until thick.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Top with Meringue.
- Beat egg whites and salt at high speed until frothy.
- Add sugar gradually.
- Continue beating at high speed until mixture stands in peaks.
- Spread to edges of pie crust, completely sealing in filling.
- Bake until light brown at 400 degrees.
I always try something new on holidays, and it's always an adventure - the biggest fear for me was combining the sugars, and it worked beautifully! the custard came together in a snap, and everyone agreed it was the favorite! thanks so much for posting!!!