Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a nice, not overly sweet cake that doesn't need frosting and is perfect in big squares at a picnic, or for a snack. The oats give it a great texture that holds up well without being tough. You might like to add a cup or so of butterscotch chips to the batter as well as scattered on top of the cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄2 cups sour milk
- 1 cup rolled oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, salt, and soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in oats. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Combine butterscotch and nuts. Sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake at 350 (F) about 30-35 minutes. Cool before serving. Will freeze well after cooling.