Recipe by tammarie
I found this in a magazine years ago. I love bread pudding and never would have thought to put in pears, but this is really very good.
Top Review by Ceezie
A definate do over. My nieces were here and both cleaned their bowls, as did my kids. This is so tasty. I only made a few changes. I used all whole mix instead of whipping cream, half nutmeg, half cinnamon and two large pears (it could have used more). I also made this the night before and cooked it first thing in the morning. So great - loved the topping!
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups bread (cubed, Italian works well, you want a dense bread)
- 3 ripe bartlett pears, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook brown sugar and butter over medium heat, stirring constantly for 2-3 minuets until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, yolk, milk, cream, vanilla and nutmeg. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth.
- Add 6 cups of the bread, press down and let stand for 30 minuets.
- Heat oven to 325. Butter 3 qt baking dish.
- Pour half of the bread mixture into dish. Arrange pears over mixture and pour the remaining bread mixture over pears.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of bread, pressing down to slightly moisten.
- Brush bread cubes with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until top is golden brown and center is set.
- Cool for 30 minuets while making sauce:.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, water and corn syrup, bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cream.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.