Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
It's amazing that such a simple recipe can provoke such a wild reception! After taking these to a family gathering, it was the MEN who went over-the-top nuts! After writing the recipe out three times, I thought it would be easier to post it! (This is modified from a 'Magnolia' recipe.)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour (unbleached)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (I used kosher)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick oats (mine were organic)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Cream butter with applesauce; then cream with sugars til smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to creamed mixture.
- Mix in oats and chips.
- I used my 2-tsp scoop, slightly overloaded, and dropped on parchment a few inches apart.
- Bake @ 350 degrees -- 11-13 minutes. I watched for a few bumpy tips to begin to turn golden, the edges just beginning to turn, too. 12 minutes was perfect in my oven.
- Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet. Move to rack to cool completely.
- Original recipe says yield is 36 but I got 60 doing it my way! They were perfect for little hands! (And the big hands felt less guilt reaching for a second -- and a third -- !).
This made a huge batch of delicious cookies! I didn't notice the oats I had on hand were whole grain until after I started, but they worked out fine. The cookies have a great texture and every bite is yummy. I did throw in a few extra butterscotch chips. Thank you for sharing the recipe!