1/1 Photo of Butterscotch Nut Slice
Chewy butterscotch and crunchy nuts are a winning combination. It is hard to stop at one. We prefer them warm with ice-cream, or straight out of the freezer! Preparation time does not include resting pastry in the fridge for 10 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes and at room temperature
- 1 egg, whisked lightly
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 deg F.
- 2Grease an 8 x 12 x 2 slab pan with butter, then line with non-stick baking paper.
- 3In a medium sized bowl, beat the sugar and butter together with an electric beater for 3 to 4 minutes, or until creamy in texture and color.
- 4Next, add the egg and beat until well combined.
- 5Sift the plain flour, self-rising flour and salt together over the butter mixture.
- 6Working quickly, use your hands to bring the ingredients together to form a ball.
- 7Dont worry if it is still a bit crumbly.
- 8Place pastry in the prepared pan and press out to cover the base.
- 9This can be done, easily, by rolling over the pastry with a thick glass, and then using your fingers to maneuver the pastry into the corners and to the edges of the pan.
- 10Prick the pastry all over with a fork, cover with plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- 11Bake pastry in oven for 12 minutes, or until firm and a light golden color.
- 12Put to one side and leave to cool.
- 13Cut macadamia nuts in half, and roughly chop Brazil nuts to a comparable size.
- 14Place the brown sugar and butter in a medium sized saucepan and cook, stirring, until butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil.
- 15Remove from heat and stir in cream and flour.
- 16Mix with a hand-held whisk until smooth.
- 17Add nuts and stir in well.
- 18Return pan to medium heat and stir until mixture comes to the boil.
- 19Pour butterscotch nut mixture over cooled pastry base, and smooth the surface to cover base evenly.
- 20Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until topping is bubbling and becoming dark around the edges.
- 21The mixture starts bubbling fairly soon after placing in oven dont worry, but check frequently to ensure edges are not burning.
- 22Cool in pan.
- 23Turn out onto a board, remove paper and cut into fingers or square pieces.
- 24Serve warm with ice-cream, or cool with tea or coffee.
- 25Can be stored in a container in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterscotch Nut Slice
Serving Size: 1 (971 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.6
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.8 mg
- Sodium 115.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 3.2 g