Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from Traditional Scottish Cookery. One of my favourite meringue recipes. To be truthful, I can't remember how many it makes - depends on the size!
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped walnuts
- Prepare the tray. I prefer to line it with baking parchment. The book says: rub a few drops of oil over the tray, dust with flour, tip it and knock of the excess.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and the salt until stiff.
- Stir in the brown sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff again after each addition.
- Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Heap in rounds on prepared tray and bake in a very slow oven (150C/350F) for between 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove immediately from tray and allow to cool.
- Sandwich with whipped cream.
These are delicious! I loved the brown sugar and walnut combination. Easy prep for a quick dessert. Great with or without whipped cream. The baking temp is off in the recipe...150C is 300F (302) and I did bake mine for about 30 minutes at 300, at which time I thought they would burn before being cooked through, and reduced the temp to 250F. I'll go with 250F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours next time. These are wonderful crunchy sweet little gems and I'll definitely make them again! Thanks for the recipe!