Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
A different meringue pie. Buttery-sweet butterscotch!
- 3 ounces cold butter, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces flour
- 1 ounce sugar
- 2 ounces ground hazelnuts
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ounces cornstarch
- 4 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 6 ounces sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- For crust: Put butter, flour, sugar and ground hazelnuts in processor, process until mixture resembles coarse meal; add 2-3 tblsps ice water and the egg yolk and process using on/off turns until stiff dough forms; gather dough into a ball, flatten into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes; preheat oven to 400F; roll out and pastry to fit 8 inch-diameter tart pan and press in to fit bottom and sides; place a sheet of foil over crust and fill with dry beans or pie weights; bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, carefully remove foil and beans and bake 5 minutes longer; remove and cool.
- For filling: Mix cornstarch with sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; slowly add the milk, whisking constantly, and cook until the cream thickens; remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes; whisk in butter, egg yolks and vanilla; pour cream into crust.
- For meringue: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry, peaks form; cover cream filling with meringue, sealing to edge of pastry and make decorative peaks and swirls in meringue; sprinkle over 1 tblsp dark brown sugar and flaked almonds.
- Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes, until meringue is a nice golden colour.