Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This recipe is a little different because it uses cream cheese as the base and butterscotch chips with maple flavoring. It is good on yellow cake or cupcakes. This recipe makes 3 cups or enough for 24 cupcakes. Toasted pecans make a nice garnish.
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup melted butterscotch chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar, a little at a time, blending with the mixer until the sugar is well incorporated, 1 minute.
- Add the maple flavoring and the melted butterscotch chips. Increase the mixer speed to medium and blend the frosting until fluffy, 1 minute more. Add up to 1/2 cup more sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed to make a spreadable consistency.