Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An unusual Pennsylvania Dutch recipe: a cake in a pastry shell with a delicious layer of sauce between.
- 9 inches pie shells, baked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- Bake the bottom of a pie shell (don't prick the crust) in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 13 minutes; let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup; stirring constantly, cook it over low heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the water and bring to a boil again and let boil over low heat for 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla; let cool.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions, then burn the batter into the baked pie shell.
- Pour the cooled butterscotch sauce over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.