Prep 35 mins
Cook 37 mins
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 50 ml oil
- 150 ml water
- 100 g margarine
- 225 g caster sugar
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 100 g butter
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 350 g icing sugar, sieved
- cocoa powder (for sprinkling)
- Break the chocolate into a bowl.
- Add oil, water and margarine.
- Heat on high flame for 4 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Beat the rest of the ingredients till the mixture is smooth, turn into a medium lined souffle dish and cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes, turn onto a rack and cool.
- For the frosting, put the butter into a microwave-proof bowl with the sugar and put on high flame for 3 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Stir in the milk and vanilla essence.
- Microwave on full for a minute.
- Beat in the icing sugar and continue beating until thickened.
- Split the cake in half and sandwich the layers together with a layer of the frosting.
- Cover the cake with the remaining frosting, swirling it with a knife blade.
- Dust the top with cocoa powder.