Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
I'm not a big fan of the "traditional egg nog" But when I had this butterscotch version it soon became a favorite and must have during the holidays. I searched Zaar and didn't see anything like this recipe. If you like Butterscotch Schnapps try this, you'll be thanking me ;) Serve to your guests and accept their compliments graciously!
- Separate eggs at room temperature by placing yolk in one bowl and egg whites in another; be careful, one speck of yolk in the white can ruin the whole recipe. Beat yolks until creamed with about half of the sugar. Add remaining sugar. Continue to beat until it looks like the color of butter (about 10 min) Chill in refrigerator. Beat cream until it forms stiff peaks, and refrigerate.Beat Egg Whites until it forms stiff peaks.
- Nog Assembly:.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add in the following order:.
- Add milk to chilled yolk mixture. Add vanilla extract and butterscotch schnapps and stir.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture.
- Gently fold the fluffy cream into the mixture.
- Serve in a punch bowl with a sprinkle of fresh grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg).
- If your quest would like a stronger nog, can individually add a splash of Brandy, Jack Daniels or your favorite whiskey. (My sister and brother-in-law do. Say it's "real good".
I made a quater recipe to test it out (and there was just two of us to try it). This tastes wonderful. The flavor is delicate and rich. Personal preference I am sure but I found it a little too thick for us. I doubled the milk and it worked out perfect. I like how it does not overwhelme you with too strong a flavor. The instructions (via email at first thanks ;) ) were clear and it was simple to make. I used my kitchen aid mixer and it took much less than the 10 minutes to whip the yolks to pale butter color. Thanks for the recipe and tips. -Tina
Freshly made eggnog is so much lighter and creamier than the stuff you buy in stores. This recipe was easily cut in half and the butterscotch schnapps was delicious! This will be the eggnog I make this year. Thanks for sharing! Made for Beverage Tag.