Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great scone recipe, and it works even without the butterscotch chips. One cup of dried berries, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, or dried cherries can be substituted if you wish.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1⁄2 cup chilled whipping cream, to taste
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- sift all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
- Add chilled butter; using fingertips, rub in until coarse meal forms.
- Mix in chips.
- Whisk 1/2 cup cream and egg in small bowl to blend.
- Gradually add cream mixture to dry ingredients, tossing with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- Add more cream by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto large rimmed baking sheet, spacking apart.
- Bake scones until golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.