Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake has butterscotch/cream cheese bottom with a light buttermilk cake, and a delicious topping... YUM!
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow...this was so good. This is a delicious coffeecake. We enjoyed it very much...I especially loved the butterscotch cream cheese and pecan additions. It was quick and very easy to make. I will be making this again. Thanks so much for sharing Kitten.
- 1 (12 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cold butter (no substitutions)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- In the microwave, melt the butterscotch baking chips (watch closely not to scorch the chips).
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and milk (or cream if using); stir in melted butterscotch chips; set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
- Cut in cold butter, until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture just to moisten.
- In prepared baking pan, spread the butterscotch/cream cheese mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the buttermilk cake batter over the butterscotch crust; sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- To make the topping: combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs, stir in pecans; sprinkle over top of cake before baking.